Monday, January 12, 2015

My Sad $72,000 Story

Sorry it's been so long between posts, but the holidays - and life in general - got in the way. In the end, I just sort of forgot about blogging. Until, as usual, I feel a need to share or get on my virtual soapbox. Apologies in advance for any naughty language that may pop-up.

Today was an interesting day - up to a point. I spent most of the morning doing research for a new story and then I finally got a chance to see the Veronica Mars movie - which was amazing. And then the proverbial "shit" hit the fan... My mother received a letter in the mail today saying that our family is responsible for paying over $72,000 (sadly that is not a typo) for my grandmother's care at a nursing facility.

Let me back-up and give a little of the back story first. My maternal grandmother - the only one I've ever known - fell and broke her hip. She was hospitalized for a period and was unable to return home because she would no longer be able to care for herself. Unfortunately, none of my mom's siblings (most of whom live away from the area) were able to care for her, so she was placed in a facility near my parent's house. My mom, who lives the closest, was placed in charge of handling all of her paperwork by her siblings.

Now, I love my mother, but she is neither financial nor legal-minded. She depended a lot on the admissions people at the nursing home to direct her in what she assumed was the correct way of doing things. During the admissions process, as is normal procedure, they file for Medicare benefits to see if a resident is applicable. Due to some issues, my grandmother was initially rejected for benefits. When my mom received the letter, she spoke with "D" from admissions who said that they would resubmit the application.

Meanwhile, the home had been giving my mother the runabout on not filing other paperwork correctly - again after following instructions from "D" - and told her that she would need to redo 3 months worth of paperwork. At this point I realize that "D" and her staff are incompetent.

Back to today. We receive a bill for $72,000+ for my grandmother's care because "D," or one of her underlings, never filed an appeal like they promised. Not only that they verbally blame my mother for not following their instructions and told her "this is all your fault." My mother, being the kind-hearted woman she is, assumes she is to blame. And of course, this all happens just as their offices are closing and there is no possible way for my mother to come and speak with them today.

Now we are not a rich family. My dad just retired and my mother doesn't work. Most of my aunts and uncles are close to or have retired already. Most of them are just scrapping by as is. As you know, I'm a full-time college student, unemployed so I can focus on studies, and using what dwindling funds I saved to get by. Sadly, PA is one of 30 states that has a Filial Support Law which makes family responsible for any costs incurred by elderly family members.

Currently, my mother is breaking the news to her siblings - attempting to rally the troops. How they will take things I'm not sure. Technically, my  mother and aunt signed all of the paperwork so they are the only two responsible for her. To help, I now may have to drop of out college (after nearly completing it) and get a full time job so that I can pay toward this $72,000 that the nursing home and the government seem to think we owe them all because of "D" and her lies to my mother. 

I'm not writing this asking for money, but if anyone out there happens to read this, just say a little prayer for us that everything works out well. All of our options seem to involve legal action of some sort - and I've never had much head for legalese. I've started doing some research already, but this is going to be a long and bitter battle, I can feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment