Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Lego Brainiac Attack Review

For those who've read my blog(s) in the past, you know I am a huge fan of both Lego and DC Comics - specifically when it involves the Super-Family. I was excited when I saw the new sets for 2015, especially since they are starting to add characters other than a Batman in different colored costumes. Of course the set I was most excited for was 76040 "Braniac Attacks" because it comes with not one, but two members of the Superman clan.

Though this was on my Christmas wishlist, I had to wait until January for it to be released. With one of my many giftcards, I decided to spend the $24.99 and treat myself. This is the first Lego set that I've purchased in over a year (since last Christmas, actually) so I was excited to get building again.


Lets start with one of my favorite things about this set: the minifigs. This set features both Superman and Supergirl both of them pre-52 versions of the characters. I'm glad that Lego decided to give us a new heroine rather than repackage Wonder Woman. I'm also glad that they painted a skirt on Supergirl as opposed to giving her one of those dumb cloth skirts that never fit properly.
Also included are the villain Brainiac (hence the set name) as well as a third hero - Martian Manhunter. Now I'm glad to have a minifig of this underrated character, however, I'm not sure how he fits in with the rest of the set. If they wanted a fourth figure why not include Superboy or Steel? Even a "hostage" character like Lois or Jimmy would have made a bit more sense. Regardless, all four characters have a great design. And since when did Lego start including the soft-fabric capes? They are so much nicer than the older, inflexible capes they use to include with the figures. Though mine are for display more than play, I wonder how well they would last under the constant abuse from my 6yo nephew.




Onto the rest of the set, which is Brainiac's ship. For anyone playing the recently released Lego Batman 3, the ship should look very familiar. The tentacled-skull ship with its side-mounted city-shrink ray looks like it flew right out of the videogame. Though it's a bit smaller than I thought it would be from the initial pictures of the set, it's still a great piece. It was a pretty easy build - something good for the children for whom it's intended, but a little too easy for a more advanced builder like myself.


Another minor complaint I have is about the shrink ray on the side. The gun, which is attached to the flexible hose, is meant to be adjustable for attacking. However, the "holster" in which it sits doesn't seem to hold it in place very well. For display, not play, this is an inconvenience. It seems to be forever popping out and laying on the counter behind it. Other than this minor flaw, I think it's an incredibly well designed and detailed vehicle.





In general, this was an amazing set. I loved the figures and their details, though I feel the mix is a bit off. I was excited for this set and it definitely didn't let me down. As a Lego and DC fan, I would recommend buying this for play or display. All of the Winter '15 DC Lego series has caught my attention. If this post gets enough views and comments, I'll buy the rest of the series and do a review on them all. And even if I don't, I may buy a few of them anyway. Until next time, happy building!

No comments:

Post a Comment