Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Sexist Superheroes

Woohoo! That is the sound of my finals being over and another semester of making the Dean's List. Now that my projects and tests are over and I have a break, brief though it may be, I'll have a bit more time to spend catching up on my social media. I know I've been lacking but you know that school is my priority right now.

The real reason I thought I'd post, is to bring a little attention to a disturbing article I found tonight on my Yahoo News page. I'll let you read the article for yourself, but I must say that I'm very upset with retailers for buying stock in such gender-biased apparel. Why is the it the girl always has to be the damsel in distress rescued by the man in a cape? There are plenty of kick-butt superwomen out there and they have to make a tee that reads: "Training to be Batman's wife?" Why not Batman's sidekick? Look at how incredible the Batgirls are: Barbra, Cassie, and Steph have proved their worth time and again. Or even better, how about: "Training to be Batwoman?" She's an amazing role model not just for women but for the LGBT fans out there.

Wonder Woman, Hawkwoman, Black Canary, Vixen, Zatanna - and those are just the DC heroines! Why should a young girl, or a woman of any age, feel that the best thing she can be is a superhero's wife? I'll gladly accept that the t-shirt was meant to funny when they make one like this for the boys:

PS - I would totally buy this tee if it was available.

No comments:

Post a Comment